You Bought a House in Charlotte!
You bought a house in Charlotte…..now what?
The completion of a home purchase is usually an exciting time for all parties involved. The sellers may have walked away with a nice profit, the agents have earned their commissions and the buyers are now in the home of their dreams in the beautiful and growing city of Charlotte, NC.
In my experience, during the excitement of the home buying process a number of things tend to be neglected so allow this to serve as a friendly reminder.
- As soon as possible, set aside the time to have the utilities turned off or transferred from the previous owner.
- Consider having the home professionally cleaned prior to moving in. That way, you can focus your efforts on unpacking instead of cleaning!
- Connect with the US Mail Service to complete a mailing address change.
- Do your research to see if you qualify for any rebates or warranties.
- Take stock of your valuables as you pack up, and update your inventory for your homeowners insurance. Create a spreadsheet, take pictures and document any large purchases for your new home.
- Research your homeowners association, and find out what the rules and regulations are. What are your responsibilities as a homeowner in terms of maintaining your property? What’s the process for getting approval for architectural changes? How can you get involved?
It is very easy to get overwhelmed during the home buying process. Between the time it takes to organize, pack, plan and move, plus the toll it takes on your emotions leaving one home to move into another, you may feel overwhelmed. But guess what? There’s an app for that! I recently stumbled across the app, BrightNest which is a super valuable tool to help you stay on top of your new home. Not only will the app help you prioritize your chore list but also allows you to set reminders for when it is time to change things like your water and air filters. One of my favorite features include the tips that the app regularly sends out to help you with things like maintenance of your yard, appliances, etc.
And, finally, throw that house-warming party with friends and family!